Friday, May 14, 2010

Directors are not allowed to miss anything!

I recently had a discussion with someone about how directors could possibly miss things in movies that are so obvious to the viewer. I tried to explain how it’s not like the director purposely misses those things but it can happen. I know people look at the director and the sole responsibility lies on their shoulders but it would be nice to know that it’s a team that the director works with in getting the movie out. Yes, it’s ‘our’ vision in the public eye but it’s a team effort and not a sole effort to accomplish a film.

The best way I can explain it is that a director has two jobs, one as parent and two a marionette orchestra. Yes there is other stuff, creative director and etc but when you’re directing it feels like those are your two jobs on set. You have to make sure you spend time with your actors, get them where they need to be. You have to make sure your DP and you are on the same page. You have to make sure your 1st AD and you are in good communication. You need to be friendly and talk to your crew (when sometimes you are so lost in your own thoughts about how to tell the story effectively it is easy to not notice other people) cuz these people are working their ass off for you. There’s just a lot going on and plus you have to make sure your mom or dad aka the Producer is happy as well. There’s a lot on the shoulder of the director so it’s not like they sit there and let things slide they just have a lot going through their head. I honestly would like people who are very critical of directors to do it once and than see if they as directors miss stuff (even Spielberg misses stuff). It is not an easy job and there are few who can do it and truthfully I feel every time you make a movie you seem to learn something new. New technology, new people, new stories being told, there’s just a lot. So, while something that you catch as the viewer seems so obvious know that it’s not always to the script sup who’s watching the monitor while the director stays behind the camera (without a monitor) and watches the action that way. In a crowd of 100 extras plus your actors you tell me if you will see everything while standing by the camera.

Ok mini-rant over with. My transcriber job has been going well. I watch A LOT of reality TV that for me is a bit strange since I only watched the Food Network Channel. I also worked on the Sy-Fy Mr. Impossible for a day, which was a lot of fun, and I got to have a ‘sorta’ conversation with Sarah Brightman and she was very lovely with her British accent and friendly manner. I really hope this show gets picked up cuz it’s just fun. However I wish it were a little more organized. My 1st ADness (First Assistant Director) kicked in and I felt myself kind of trying to help them as best I can. But overall it was fun because I was able to roll b-roll camera stuff which I NEVER get to do. I really hope the series is picked up cuz they are just a lot of fun people to hang out with and the crew is a lot of fun as well.

Well I’m off…

Till Another,
Ne In Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment