Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Weigh In

Weighing one self is a tricky thing to (want to) do.  I use too never get on a scale, because who enjoys that minute of fun (and day of fretting over said poundage)?  I even wrote a little part in a short film that I have coming out this year about getting on that dreadful thing.  However, the reality we face is you need to know your weight if you’re going to LOSE weight.  How else can you judge if you’re actually doing what is needed.  Sure a few belt buckles can give you a clue, however the bottom-line is that could have been water weight. 

I read a long time ago that those who get on the scale 2 to 3 times a week actually lose weight better.  They are able to see the ups and down.  So for the last three (painful) weeks I’ve gotten on the (Devil) scale almost every single (hellish) day.  Sometimes several times a day at different times just so I’ve grasped the best time to weigh in, which seems to be the morning time for me (this might vary depending on your sleep and work schedule).  I’m sure this isn’t news to most of you, but knowing is half the battle (G.I. Joe!).

My weight usually varies about 5 pounds going up or down.  So don’t freak out if you get on one day and the next you’re above, there are a lot of factors that weigh in (ha ha) into it.   I know how hard it is to get on the (monster) scale, but it does help me think about the things I’m doing, if they are working or not.  Right now I’ve been stable, I’ve lost about 4 pounds, which is another point.  Don’t give up!  It’s so easy to get frustrated with how slowly things go, but to really fully overall the way you do things it will take time (whole lotta precious time, according to George Harrison, to do it right child).   This is why we give up, because we live in a NOW society.  Everything must be instant texts, im’s, emails, meals, and workouts…. That is how it is for us compared to 20 years ago.  We’ve lost the art of slowing down and fully appreciating how we work, eat, our body and mind.  I’ve learned a lot about my mind, now it’s time to get the body to sync correctly with it.  You can too!

So here are some new tips of mine to keep in mind:

Portion Control – Not sure how to measure the right amount of spaghetti for yourself?  Before tossing it in the pot (with some kosher salt, this will actually CUT down on your salt intake if you salt things properly), take your pointing finger and thumb and make a circle (about the size of a nickel), place the spaghetti between there and now you have the correct portion size.  If you’re REALLY hungry, a quarter size is roughly 2 servings. 

If you live by yourself work on using measurements too only cook a serving size meal for 2.  This way you can box half of it for lunch tomorrow and stay within the goal you want.

Roast your veggies is a great wait to try something different.  Plus, you can cut up the rest for veggies during the week to taste in pasta salad or for a side dish.  Put your oven to 400 degrees.  Use kosher salt and pepper and a little bit of olive oil (I use extra virgin).   Cut up your veggies (I normally just slice them in half) and put salt and pepper on it along with a little bit of oil.  Put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes and then turn.  The less time you let them cook, the firmer they will be.  

WORKING OUT

Hulu Plus does have some nice work outs too offer and are also very challenging, however so does youtube.  Try out Sparkpeople.com, who are also on youtube as well.  They really do some interesting workouts (even in a chair), but they do focus for working out at home.   Plus, she doesn’t have an annoying voice like some of the others do; she really wants you to find your rhythm, which is very important.

If you need to get some energy going, there is a good yoga work out from Hulu by Gaiam in their yoga section.  It’s called Energize and I do this as my warm up.  To be warned though you may experience some dizziness with the first few routines, but it gets better after you learn the breathing. 

Well those are the tips for this week.   Stay positive!

Till Another,
Ne



No comments:

Post a Comment